WE ARE A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION WITH THE SOLE PURPOSE OF ADVANCING EDUCATION, HEALTH, AND OVERALL QUALITY OF LIFE IN KATARE VILLAGE, TANZANIA.
In fulfilling their long awaited dream and goal, Mulokozi and wife Kos, began a non-for-profit organization, “Kagera Advancement Inc”. It is a 501(c)(3) public charity that has been organized under the Indiana state law. Its sole purpose is to help and advance education and healthcare in Katare Village in Tanzania. It will support both public and private schools and hospitals in the region. As funds allow, other areas in Tanzania will be included in the charitable endeavors of KAI. The organization’s activities will be non-political in nature. It will derive at least one-third to one-half of its support from the general public. All proceeds go towards advancing the organization’s cause. Every dollar counts, so please make your tax-deductible donation to Kagera Advancement Inc. today!
About the Kagera Region | Kagera region is one of Tanzania’s 30 administrative regions. The regional capital is the city of Bukoba, situated on the shore of Lake Victoria. The region takes its name from the Kagera River, which flows from Rwanda through northern Tanzania. It then enters Lake Victoria to emerge as the Nile, which is the longest river in the world.
About Katare Village | In the outskirts of Bukoba is a village called Katare, where several clans reside, including “the Lugakingira clan”. Dr. Mulokozi Lugakingira, as the first-born son of his late father, took over as the current head of his clan. Katare village has one primary school (Grades 1-7), and one secondary school (Grades 9-12). Additionally, it has one dispensary (health clinic).
KAI’s Focus | The primary focus of this organization’s efforts are Katare Secondary School & Katare Health Clinic.
KATARE SECONDARY SCHOOL
Below are key details from a recent report provided by the school’s current headmaster Mr. Enocki Binamungu.
As of November 2015 Katare Secondary School has…
- 233 students
- 53 graduates in the graduating class of 2015
- 16 teachers employed full time, 4 are female
- 70 to 90 students admitted per year
- 50%+ drop-out rate due to various reasons, financial burden being at the top of the list
- there is no central library
- textbooks are limited
- there are 0 computers
- there is no chemistry lab
- there is no biology lab
Successes attributed to the recent work of KAI include…
- 1 new physics lab
- provision of textbooks for each of the 233 students needed for all 9 subjects taught at the school including History, English, Swahili, Geography, Civics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics
- provision of supplies including scientific calculators, sharpeners, tooth brushes, and toothpaste
- provision of workbooks and crayons for pre-school kids in the surrounding village – a great way to include them in the excitement as they look to their educational futures!!!
Some Perspective | US Dollar to Tanzanian Shilling (TZS)…
- $1 USD = 2,000 TZS
- $7.50 USD = 16,000 TZS average textbook cost in Tanzania
- $15 USD = 30,000 TZS school uniform cost in Tanzania
- $300 USD = 650,000 TZS average starting monthly salary of a teacher in Tanzania
KATARE HEALTH CLINIC
KAI has reached great milestones with the clinic!
- supply of electricity to the clinic including wiring and fixtures
- complete building renovation including flooring, walls, doors, and ceiling boards
KAI BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Dr. Mulokozi Lugakingira (OMFS) – Co-Chairman
- Mrs. Akosua (Kos) Lugakingira – Co-Chairman & Accounts
- Mrs. Nkonye Mwalilu – Accounts
- Ms. Cassandra Falcon – Secretary & Public Relations
- Ms. Marquita Deas – Social Media
- Hon. Hussein Hamadi – Tanzania Liaison
- Mr. Edison Rugambwa – Tanzania Liaison
- Mr. Stephen Mwalilu – Information Technology & Website
Kagera Advancement Inc. is truly adamant about our stated cause, and gratefully optimistic about how far your contributions will take our efforts!
We thank you!