WE ARE A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION WITH THE SOLE PURPOSE OF ADVANCING EDUCATION, HEALTH, AND OVERALL QUALITY OF LIFE IN KATALE VILLAGE, TANZANIA.
In fulfilling their long awaited dream and goal, Mulokozi and wife Kos, began a non-for-profit organization, “Kagera Advancement Inc”. It is a 501(c)(3) public charity that has been organized under the Indiana state law. Its sole purpose is to help and advance education and healthcare in Katale Village in Tanzania. It will support both public and private schools and hospitals in the region. As funds allow, other areas in Tanzania as well as Fort Wayne, Indiana will be included in the charitable endeavors of KAI. The organization’s activities will be non-political in nature. It will derive at least one-third to one-half of its support from the general public. All proceeds go towards advancing the organization’s cause. Every dollar counts, so please make your tax-deductible donation to Kagera Advancement Inc. today!
About the Kagera Region | Kagera region is one of Tanzania’s 30 administrative regions. The regional capital is the city of Bukoba, situated on the shore of Lake Victoria. The region takes its name from the Kagera River, which flows from Rwanda through northern Tanzania. It then enters Lake Victoria to emerge as the Nile, which is the longest river in the world.
About Katale Village | In the outskirts of Bukoba is a village called Katale, where several clans reside, including “the Lugakingira clan”. Dr. Mulokozi Lugakingira, as the first-born son of his late father, took over as the current head of his clan. Katale village has one primary school (Grades 1-7), and one secondary school (Grades 9-12). Additionally, it has one dispensary (health clinic).
KAI’s Focus | The primary focus of this organization’s current efforts are Katale Secondary School & Katale Health Clinic.
KATALE SECONDARY SCHOOL
- plumbing and clean water in the school and surrounding village remains a problem
- now that the school has electricity, there is an opportunity to provide living accommodations for students
- there is no chemistry lab in the school
- there is no biology lab in the school
Successes attributed to the recent work of KAI to date include…
- fully renovated school complete with desks, chairs and electricity
- new library with books, desks, chairs, and electricity
- computer lab with 4 computers, and a printer with scanner
- provision of textbooks for each student for all 9 subjects taught at the school including History, English, Swahili, Geography, Civics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics
- new physics lab
- provision of supplies including scientific calculators, sharpeners, tooth brushes, and toothpaste
- new soccer and netball uniforms
- Implementation of best student and teacher awards program
- provision of workbooks and crayons for pre-school kids in the surrounding village – a great way to include them in the excitement as they look to their educational futures!!!
Some Perspective | US Dollar to Tanzanian Shilling (TZS)…
- $1 USD = 2,000 TZS
- $7.50 USD = 16,000 TZS average textbook cost in Tanzania
- $15 USD = 30,000 TZS school uniform cost in Tanzania
- $300 USD = 650,000 TZS average starting monthly salary of a teacher in Tanzania
KATALE HEALTH CLINIC
KAI has reached great milestones with the clinic and we are looking forward to next steps
- supply of electricity to the clinic including wiring and fixtures
- partial building renovation including flooring, walls, doors, and ceiling boards
KAI BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Dr. Mulokozi Lugakingira (OMFS) – Co-Chairman
- Mrs. Akosua (Kos) Lugakingira – Co-Chairman & Accounts
- Mrs. Nkonye Mwalilu – Accounts
- Ms. Cassandra Falcon – Secretary & Public Relations
- Mr. Stephen Mwalilu – Information Technology & Website
- Ms. Rose Deas – Committee Liaison
- Hon. Hussein Hamadi – Tanzania Liaison
- Mr. Edison Rugambwa – Tanzania Liaison
Kagera Advancement Inc. is truly adamant about our stated cause, and gratefully optimistic about how far your contributions will take our efforts!
We thank you!